Quick fix: “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.” Ever had this problem? Tried to update your WordPress site and received this message? “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.” Clicking refresh several times, only to keep seeing the same message over and over again. You then try to view your main website pages only to get the same message and your website is down!
This message can appear for several reasons such as accidentally clicking the update button too many times, refreshing your page mid way through an update or for no fault of your own, your computer crashes or your temperamental internet connection goes down mid way through your update.The good news is, it is a pretty easy process to fix the problem and get your website back up and running properly again. Simply follow my quick step to step guide or if you do not like reading text, watch my YouTube video below.
Quick fix: “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.”
- Login to your FTP application and connect to your WordPress website as you would normally do.
- If you are now connected to your website through your FTP client you should now see all of your website files. Click your WordPress directory which is the directory that holds your website files. Normally by default this is called ‘wordpress’.
- Once you have clicked into the directory you will see a few files and directories. Look for a file called .maintenance.
- You can now delete the .maintenance file. Yes, you can delete it.
- Close your FTP client software and go back to your browser. Refresh your website and it should now be back up and running.
Save this post here!